Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl Weekend Recap

Unfortunately, the snow changed my plans for this weekend. I was supposed to go up Friday and come back on Monday, but they blizzard wouldn't let me. So I had to improvise and find some things to do during the weekend.

Friday
On Friday, I went to this fob Korean church I've visited a few times because my friend asked me to go and I've been meaning to go this semester. He was practicing with the worship team when I got there, so I was alone. And it was the most awkward moment ever. People stared at me because they recognized me, but they knew I couldn't speak Korean well so they couldn't really approach me. So I just stood there for a few seconds, and they were whispering my friend's name. I put my Bible down and made a quick escape to the bathroom. But then after the service, they all went bowling at school, and I joined them. Sports are the fastest way for me to bond with people, so I talked to a few people and chilled with them. It was enjoyable. I bowled 154 on the last game with only 2 open frames. I also only had 2 strikes, so I definitely could have hit the 170-180 range.

Saturday
I suck at grocery shopping. This is mostly because I don't know how to cook anything besides spaghetti. I cook spaghetti like once a week. It's pretty sad. Sometimes I try to make some new things like General Tsos Chicken, but that's rare. I went grocery shopping at Publix (the Florida version of Safeway). This particular one is nicknamed Club Pub and it was named by Playboy to be the best place to pick up a hot date (according to the Internet and some people who go to school here). Out of my total bill of $91.69, I spent $33.35 on drinks and $21.44 on snacks. Over half of my ball was just drinks and snacks. Pitiful.

Sunday
I played in some co-ed intramural soccer games. Definitely not like the men's team. Everybody's calmer and sane. I watched the Super Bowl at my friend's place. I didn't have as much fun because there were too many couples, ergo nobody for me to talk to.

Misc
I watched "Up in the Air" over the weekend. I thought it was a very good movie. Very deserving of the Oscar nomination. I don't want to ruin it for people, so I'll just say watch the movie. I also read David's entry about "(500) Days of Summer" and the Oscars. While I very much liked "(500) Days of Summer", I don't think it deserves to be in the Best Picture category. When I think of Best Picture, I think it has to make you say "I want to watch this in a theater". I watched "(500) Days of Summer" on my laptop and I thought it would have had the same effect as watching it in the theater.

Speaking of the Oscars, I think "Hurt Locker" should win Best Picture and Best Director; however, I think "Avatar" will win Best Picture and "Hurt Locker" will win Best Director. "Avatar" has a crazy cinematic experience because of the graphics and images and imagination, but the story line is weak because the plot is cliched.

My electricity bill came out to be $166. That's almost the same as the past 2 months combined. I don't know how it got that expensive. Maybe because of my PS3? Perhaps. In order to save electricity and create a nice ambience (I'm kidding about the last part...or am I?), I've been taking showers by candlelight. It's a scented candle, so it even smells good when I'm showering. Don't judge me. I'm sure you're going to try it too now. Don't look at me with those questioning eyes. Weirdo.

3 comments:

  1. haha I feel ya, 500 Days of Summer isn't the typical Best Picture movie. Hopefully The Hurt Locker will get the recognition it deserves.

    miss you bro

    ReplyDelete
  2. showers by candlelight HAHAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. pop some barry white in the cd player during the candlelight showers.

    ReplyDelete