Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Olympics, my past, and other musings

I love sports, including the Winter Olympics. I love television. Ergo, I love watching the Winter Olympics on television.
Watching the Olympics has brought up a conundrum in my life. I am an American citizen, born and raised in America, yet I cheer for Korea in all sporting events. When I watch short track or soccer or any sport where Korea and America compete, I cheer for Korea. This isn't a recent event either. I noticed it during the 2002 World Cup when Korea and America played each other. I talked to some other people, and I noticed that my Chinese-American friends, cheer for America in the same situations. So I tried to figure out why this is the case.
My guess is that I am in a unique situation as a Korean-American. Koreans are a very homogeneous society, and I have two Korean parents. I was raised in an American background, but I still retain remnants of my Korean culture. I noticed this, especially here at FSU because when I chill with Korean fobs I am familiar with their culture and style, but I'm not totally comfortable with it. Being a Korean-American definitely presents a unique situation for me.

And then, I started to think about my future wife *fingers crossed*. What if I don't marry a Korean-American? Would my kids cheer for Korea or American then? What if I do marry a Korean-American? Would the Korean culture be so diluted for them that they feel no connection to Korea? I honestly don't know what my kids are going to do. I don't think I have a preference, but my parents want me to marry a Korean so there is no language or cultural barrier between them. All these questions because of the Olympics.

And then, I started to think about my past girlfriends. My past two girlfriends have not been Korean, but I don't regret any of the girls I've dated. In fact, I'm very proud of the girls I've dated, and I think I have a pretty solid track record. If you don't agree, you can just shut up. All of them have contributed to my life and changed me in some way or another. Because of my first crush, I pestered my parents into getting internet so I could talk to her on AIM. Because of my first girlfriend, I bothered my parents into getting a driver's permit so I could have freedom to drive. Because of my second girlfriend, I harassed my parents into getting a cell phone so I could have my own private line and talk to her whenever.

And then, I started to think about what Keeyoung said. He insulted me by saying that I'm very needy. And he's right. But I got mad, so I spit some truth back at him and made him think about some stuff. Then, I re-examined my past relationships, and noticed all the times I have been needy. Being a needy hopeless romantic is possibly the worst combination. You try to plan everything out and when things don't the way you planned, you are ruined. I like having control and reciprocation. If I call you, I expect you to call back in a timely manner. Maybe I'm too demanding, but I'm willing to compromise. I don't know. It's late and I can't sleep and I don't know what I'm saying. These topics are vaguely tied together, but still random. I'm going to lay in bed for a while and try to fall asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment