I watch a lot of television. I watch it voraciously. I think spend at least 2 hours a day just watching tv, but it's something I enjoy. If I didn't watch so much tv, I think I'd be done with my thesis already. There are a lot of new shows that I like that have come out. Sometimes I wish I could be the programming director of a tv network and decide what shows get to be put on the air. I don't know how some quality shows like Arrested Development, Kitchen Confidential, Conan O'Brien, Undeclared, Freaks and Geeks, Flight of the Conchords and Better Off Ted (it will be canceled soon) are kicked off the air, but trash like Minute to Win It and The Marriage Ref are put on the air.
I can't sleep, so I'm going to list the shows that I've been watching this season with some of my own notes.
Sunday
-The Simpsons (always a classic, even though it's fallen off in the past decade)
-Family Guy
-I tried watching The Cleveland Show, but it's really not funny (see also American Dad). Maybe only one Seth McFarlane show can be funny
-Dexter (if you like murder/thriller/mystery shows, you gotta watch this on Showtime)
-Entourage
-True Blood (it's kind of out there with the vampires and stuff, but it's sometimes fun to watch)
-Life (this show is the reason God created HDTV. if you're not watching this show, you are truly missing out)
Monday
-Heroes (Heroes has really fallen off the map after the 2nd season. They introduced too many characters, the storyline got too complicated and unfocused and now its hard to watch.)
-Chuck (I loved it when Kristin Kreuk was back on the show. It literally made me happy to see her, like a real physical reaction.)
-24 (It's the final season. Hopefully it'll end on a high note).
-Dancing with the Stars (Don't judge me. This is the first season I'm watching. Nicole Scherzinger. Erin Andrews. Enough said. I should have watched when Joanna Krupa was on the show.)
-United States of Tara (I spent all Sunday afternoon and night watching the first season of this show. It's about a mom with dissociative identity disorder and all of her "alters". It's a pretty good show on Showtime)
Tuesday
-Parenthood (this is one show NBC got right. it follows a huge family and looks at the serious issues they have to deal with such as drug use, divorce, and other things. it's a really good show with a good ensemble cast. I love family shows)
-Lost (final season. it's gotten really good again. the island's mysteries will be solved)
-V (a new show on ABC that I enjoy. it's about alien visitors who appear peaceful, but are really here for underhanded reasons)
Wednesday
-Modern Family (another show that ABC got right. ABC doesn't do comedies well, but this is one of my favorite new shows. another family show that focuses on a large family. "why doesn't he go back to Columbia and take all his Brown friends with him?")
-Glee (surprisingly, another one of my favorites. don't judge me. this will back on air soon)
Thursday
-Community (up there with Modern Family as one of my favorite new comedies this season. the entire cast is funny)
-Parks and Recreation (it was a little shaky after the first season, but it's gotten a lot better this season. and Rashida Jones is cute)
-The Office (it used to be a classic. I don't know. the earlier seasons kept the focus in the office, but now it's all about relationships because everybody is pairing up. right now, I think it's the least funny show of NBC's Thursday night line-up)
-30 Rock (Tina Fey writing. Tracy Morgan acting crazy. Alec Baldwin as a right wing nut. Elements of a great tv show)
-Survivor (I don't watch much reality tv, but I've been watching this for most of the seasons. I hate the term reality tv because most of it isn't reality. Keeping Up with the Kardashians isn't real, Celebrity Apprentice isn't real. Survivor is real. people really have to live out on their own and fend for themselves emotionally, physically, and most importantly psychologically. maybe I'll try out for Survivor one day, they always need Asians on the show)
-Flashforward (a new show from ABC. ABC has been pretty solid with their dramas I think with V and Flashforward. everybody in the world blacks out and sees a glimpse into their future. would you want to see your future if you knew that it meant it might change how you see the present?)
-America's Best Dance Crew (Poreotix)
Saturday
-Saturday Night Live (I miss Will Ferrell. Andy Samberg is funny, but the only time I see him is during those digital shorts. it seems like Kristin Wiig is in every sketch, she's funny but I dislike most of the characters that she does)
So yea, these are the shows I watch on a regular basis that are stored on my DVR. this isn't including the sports that I watch or the shows I just catch from time to time (Man vs. Wild, Kitchen Nightmares). I even keep a list of shows that I haven't watched yet, sort of like a to-do list for tv shows (Archer, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Party Down, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, House). From my list, it's predominantly NBC and FOX for comedy, ABC for dramas and Modern Family, HBO and Showtime for the gritty and edgy shows, and CBS for Survivor. How is CBS the #1 rated network? They only show crime procedurals or unfunny comedies or shows for old people. If I were running NBC, they'd be the #1 network, if only.
Any other TV suggestions for me?
i agree with you about cbs being number 1.
ReplyDeleteand a "real physical reaction" eh? i gotcha... ;)
"It literally made me happy to see her, like a real physical reaction." HAHAHA
ReplyDeletenot like that you weird perverted daniel. like i literally started smiling the moment i saw her on tv. and i started feeling giddy again, just like the first time i saw her on smallville when i was in high school
ReplyDeletethats exactly what i was talking about. get your mind out of the gutter frank.
ReplyDeleteYES! parks and rec is such an underrated show! the first episodes were pretty terrible, i thought they were trying to make amy poehler's character too much like michael scott, but now she's one of my favorites!
ReplyDelete